Wandering around Polk Street before the Super Bowl on Sunday, I was seeing red -- but not from stray elbows or overserved sports boors. Team-inspired fashion is usually a pretty simple affair: a hat, a T-shirt with a logo, maybe a jacket. But this is San Francisco, where we don't do common and the Niners' presence in the Super Bowl was one more excuse for residents to show off their flair for dramatic costuming.
But though I was out looking for the over-the-top, the Niners gear I did managed to capture ended up being mainly on the tasteful side of things. I spotted a woman and pup in matching red gear, a cute couple subtly sporting Niners colors without sacrificing J. Crew-crispness.
That aside, my favorite was a man in a gigantic red and gold poncho. As I began to introduce myself, the gentleman spotted my camera and tipsily exclaimed, “you don’t even have to ask!” He grabbed his buddies and struck a pose. I’m betting he was probably pretty upset after the game. But least he was already wearing his security blanket. Not to mention, swathed in love for his hometown, win or lose.
Most Commented On
- There's general admission - May 23, 2013
- @JV there's general admission - May 23, 2013
- White man's burden, Lloyd. - May 23, 2013
- Yet you're still here.... - May 23, 2013
- I thought it was very colorful phrasing - May 23, 2013
- Your point is well taken, but - May 23, 2013
- Someone previously - May 23, 2013
- LIke the land you're living on now - May 23, 2013
- Thanks for the Zionist apologism. - May 23, 2013
- Right-on, Rocky! I'm looking - May 23, 2013